Univercells granted $14.3M to deliver affordable measles & rubella vaccines
Booth No.: M404
Grant from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation will support Univercells and partner Batavia Biosciences to develop a cost-effective manufacturing process and proceed towards the successful commercialization of measles and rubella vaccines
BRUSSELS, BELGIUM - JUNE, 13 2019
Univercells announced today that it has been awarded a $14.3 million grant by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation to increase the availability of measles and rubella (M&R) vaccines in low- and middle-income countries (LMICs). Univercells will adapt the process design of its proprietary NevoLine™ platform to deliver affordable M&R vaccines. This novel manufacturing platform has already proven success with its initial application for Sabin inactivated polio vaccine (sIPV), supported by a $12M Grand Challenges grant awarded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
Viral infectious diseases, such as measles and rubella, still represent a significant global health burden despite preventability via vaccination. Effective vaccination programs in LMICs are impaired by a substantial gap of affordable vaccines. Conventional vaccine manufacturing requires high capital and operating costs and does not provide a sustainable or cost-effective solution for the future. Univercells will leverage its NevoLine bioproduction platform to sustainably supply measles and rubella vaccines at an affordable cost by minimizing equipment and facility related capital investment together with lower operating costs.
Under the terms of the agreement, Univercells will develop a NevoLine platform for the measles and rubella processes and initiate clinical validation. As part of this project, Univercells’ partner Batavia Biosciences will adapt its highly intensified production process to the M&R vaccines and manufacture GMP material. Univercells will also explore utilizing novel vaccine delivery technologies under evaluation by the foundation. Combining innovations could further reduce costs, facilitate the execution of immunization campaigns and improve accessibility of critical vaccines.
“We are very honored to receive this grant and work once again with the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation to increase affordability of the measles-rubella vaccine, another critical vaccine especially in view of the recent outbreaks worldwide”, said Hugues Bultot, CEO and co-founder of Univercells. “We are dedicated to delivering a portfolio of viral vaccines such as inactivated polio, measles and rubella and other undersupplied vaccines to further increase the availability of these life-saving products.”
José Castillo, CTO and co-founder of Univercells added “This second project with the foundation confirms the trust built upon our breakthrough technology. It enables Univercells to demonstrate the potential of our NevoLine manufacturing platform to be a game-changer for global health”.
More Exhibitor's Press Release
- GoldenBiotech's Phase 2 Clinical Trial of Covid-19 Coronavirus in USA & other Cancers trials of Antr GOLDEN BIOTECHNOLOGY CORP. / 2020-07-03
- CORONAVIRUS/ Antroquinonol, Taiwan’s first to gain FDA approval for Phase 2 trial in COVID-19 GOLDEN BIOTECHNOLOGY CORP. / 2020-07-03
- Nucleotide application technology professional development company CELLGF BIOMED TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD. / 2020-07-03
- Taiwan Biobank - data release ACADEMIA SINICA TAIWAN BIOBANK / 2020-07-02
- Recommended Centrifuge for RT-PCR Test DOUBLE EAGLE ENTERPRISE CO., LTD. / 2020-07-01
- Consumers take more notice of healthy snack during COVID-19 pandemic. MASTERASIA MARKETING CO., LTD / 2020-07-01
- The new idea of wound caring for animals-Moist Healing and Hydrophilic wound dressing DEH LAB, JING-TE BIOMEDICAL TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD. / 2020-07-01
- Functional food market is expected to grow; Nutrition bars are getting popular. MASTERASIA MARKETING CO., LTD / 2020-06-30
- New dietary style-Nutrition bars are ready to eat and easy to takeaway MASTERASIA MARKETING CO., LTD / 2020-06-30
- Precision medicine in the era of big data -- DAOPiN & mProbe BIOTECHNOLOGY-APPLICATION INDUSTRY-ACADEMIA ALLIANCE IN NATIONAL TSING HUA UNIVERSITY COLLEGE OF LIFE SCIENCE (NTHU LS BIO-APP) / 2020-06-30
- Full-range Supplier of Viscometry and Rheometry Solutions for the Pharmaceutical Industry ANTON PAAR TAIWAN CO. LTD. / 2020-06-29
- BCIAL & GLORIA at NYMU coordinate the Industry-Academia-Clinical Collaboration in AI for Medical BUSINESS CENTER OF INDUSTRY - ACADEMIA LIAISON / GLOBAL RESEARCH & INDUSTRY ALLIANCE / 2020-06-23
- Pacific Image Electronics launch lateral flow assay development starter kit PACIFIC IMAGE ELECTRONICS CO., LTD. / 2020-06-22
- Best Choice for Drug Testing and Preclinical Validation TAIWAN MOUSE CLINIC AND ANIMAL CONSORTIUM-NATIONAL COMPREHENSIVE MOUSE PHENOTYPING AND DRUG TESTING CENTER / 2020-06-19
- InnoSpectra will joining Bio Asia Taiwan 2020. INNOSPECTRA CORPORATION / 2020-06-15
- The dynamic key indicators of DKABio, help you manage your own health. DATTA DEVELOPMENT CO., LTD. / 2020-06-10
- Discover the new generation of Ultrapyc solid density analyzers ANTON PAAR TAIWAN CO. LTD. / 2020-06-10
- Extherid successfully merged with Perfectus Biomed creating Perfectus Biomed Group. EXTHERID BIOSCIENCES / 2020-06-10
- One System, Endless Possibilities:Multiwave 5000 ANTON PAAR TAIWAN CO. LTD. / 2020-06-08
- For Green X Taiwan Green Trade Project Office FOR GREEN BIOTECHNOLOGY CORP. / 2020-06-08